Monday, May 15, 2006

So another weekend gone and never to return.
But I always try and do something worth while on the weekends or just relax.
Saturday was a beautiful day in terms of sun and clear blue sky although it had a slight chill in the air. I went to Princess St Gardens and lay on the slopes trying to get a tan and read some of my book - "Good Vibrations", it's a travel book about a British Couple who travel across the USA on 2 hogs (Harleys) and it's just about their travels and the people they meet along the way. The great thing about Edinburgh is it's setting, beautiful buildings and creative people. They have some great Art galleries and this weekend I went to 4 of them - The City Art Centre, The Fruitmarket Gallery, The National Scottish Gallery and Stills.
There where some great exhibitions but the ones that really stood out where Fred Sandback's exhibition at the Fruitmarket Gallery, he was born in New York and his work consists mainly of spacially aware sculptures made out of different colour thread, sounds weird but it's really good, you can see some of his work and others at http://www.fruitmarket.co.uk/archive_Sandback.html
the other exhibition that stood out was Ice Blink by Simon Faithfull at the Stills gallery. It combined graphics, video, digital and traditional photography and it is basically about his trip to the Antarctic, I think the reason why I really like this project besides the beautiful visual appeal, is because he flew to Ascension Island first an island I myself have been too, then he flew to The Falklands - a place some of my friends have been to, then he took a boat to Antarctic - sa place I would like to go to. Anyway besides trying to inspire myself with an array of art in the galleries there was also the Painted Cows for charity out on the streets, all colorful and eye catching. Sunday consisted of walking around town and cow spotting. My Flat mate and I rented a Sunday night movie call "Factotum" an offbeat dark humor of a movie about a writer who goes through hundreds of low paid jobs while writing stories no one wants to publish.
Anyway I am in a huge rush and have to go to catch my bus so cheers for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How's the portraiture module coming along, Laura? Did you get some inspiration from any of the galleries for the remaining shots that you need?

Laura's travels said...

Yes that Fred Sanback was very interesting, even though it was not photography I liked his use of space and would like to have a spacial feel to some of my photo's. Shot some portraits today just washing them off right now.

The road called again and I answered. This is my journey and believe this one is going to reveal a lot more to me than any other I have been on, for I don't intend for this one to end.....well not anytime soon that is