Monday, July 17, 2006

Guilfest 2006

Well Well ......Got back from Guildford today after and interesting weekend at the Guilfest. I left on Thursday and made my 4 train trips to get there (not that bad really) and singed in - as I was working as a steward (and getting paid, yeehaa) Decided to get my early shift out of the way on Friday morning - 6am yikes!! But anyway set up my tent - in the shade this time, in the separate stewards area next to some real nice people - chirpy Brighton chappy Thomas and another girl called Laura. Was really tired, fell asleep after the steward briefing but woke up after a campfire with about 15 people sat around it right next to my tent and thought I can't beat em might aswell join em, so sat around the came fire, talked to some London fellow who was into his drum and bass and there was one guy who looked exactly like Orlando Bloom (Legolas in Lord of the Rings) who told us an interesting joke about snicker bars, much alcohol and smoking of the non-cigaret type was had, but I'm a good girl (see the halo around my head), so anyway did go to bed sometime after 12ish, but not too late - had to get up at 5:30am. Anyway tired got up - because the gates had not been opened for the main site, there was not much to do - lucky me, we just sat around drinking coffee and getting paid yeehaa. After my first shift, Embrace where doing there sound check - and the only people allowed on site where crew so I got some real up close shots. The music was only starting at 5:00pm so walked into the town centre - very nice place, pretty and old, I would like to go there again sometime. It always reminds me of the film - In the Name of the Father - about the Guilford 6 bombings. Anyway my 2nd shift was cool - was put on the gate of the sound engineers and disability platform for Main Stage - so I had the best view of the opening acts - Nizlopi - who are a cool and cute 2 piece mellow beatbox, double bass, guitar band, Morning Runner - was disappointed, Lighting Seeds - was impressed with their set, they really interacted with the crowd, The Wonder Stuff - not really my sort of thing - I thought the Lighting Seeds where better and should of been above them on the bill. Anyway finished my shift and hour late due to slow change over, decided to check out some of the other tents - saw a young band called Gaolbird who where quite cool - classic 70's hippy rock, wondered around saw some bands not worth mentioning - went over to the rock stage and saw - Bring Me the Horizon and SiKLTh - which involved a lot of screaming (not by me, by the bands). After that checked out Embrace who are just plain bland to be honest. Saturday was not such a early start - 8:00am (seemed alright after the 6am start), just litter picking - but not a long shift - finished by 11:30am. Went into to town to get battries for my camera (which died during the embrace set) and went for a swim at the Lido - big outdoor pool mmmmm nice and clean. Had a good lunch and watched a band called Obscura at the rock cave who where pretty good - female fronted, was quite impress, also checked out a youngish band called Chop Chop: Bear Touch whom think they felt they where better than they actually are, but not crap. Checked out Wills and the Willing who sang an interesting song about the bombs on the London Buses and chilled out to the mellow tunes of Don Mescall. Took some photos of the festival experienced Comsic Rough Riders who played an average set. Then back to work - THE WORST shift of the weekend - stuck doing litter picking in campsite 1 - on the other side of the grounds, so got to hear the whole Kosheen set but not actually see em - they sounded on form though, and caught alittle bit of Sandi Thom - who pains me to say was not too bad. After what seemed like the longest shift ever finished, rushed down to main stage and checked out Gary Numan who even though is quite old simply Rocked!!! After that saw The Boy Least Likely To - who I thought where really good, upbeat, happy, talented. Also went and see 65 Days of Static who where pretty impressive and went full blast into there set. A-HA - where old, boring and rubbish!
Ahh Sunday, day of rest - another 8:00am shift, but only 3 hours and a good spot - was sent to the traders entrance right next to the Pimms double decker Red bus, friendly people and had a radio so could talk to the others and hear about all the drunk/drugged up people the St Johns Ambulance had to revive. A quick and easy shift - today wa going to be a chilled one, walked around the different tents, bought myself a hat, checked out some bands on the smaller stages, lay in the sun, listened to Donovan play on the main stage - he was cool, after that went and indulge in some sweaty rock by a band called Attica and danced to the Stereo MC's. My last shift was the best - because I am such a nice person (lol) they gave me the best place - VIP backstage gate of Main Stage - yeehaa, so many people tried to blag there way through, loads of press and all that, got to meet some of the Stereo MC's, some of The Stranglers and The Sparks and some of the lesser bands. After that shift I rushed down to main stage to take some photo's of Billy Idol who I thought was going to be rubbish and just really old - but he has kept himself really fit and sounds better now then before - more punk now, only stayed for 4 songs then rushed up to the Rock cave to see the band I had been waiting for all weekend THERAPY? - and man did they make this whole trip worth it - they kick-ass!!!!!! Fair and Square!!! I LOVE THERAPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have to see em again, really really good, punk rock to the core and just really made me happy. After that was on a high, watched some crazy camp theatre had my vegan cranberry muffin and chilled out to Norman Jay, wondered down to my tent and had sweet dreams.......to wake up and have to pack, sit on a train that got stuck behind a train that caught fire (no jokes) and eventually get home.........with a brand new tan (yeehaa)
Pics will follow soon.

The road called again and I answered. This is my journey and believe this one is going to reveal a lot more to me than any other I have been on, for I don't intend for this one to end.....well not anytime soon that is