Friday, May 19, 2006

I love music but hate the radio




Sometimes I real feel like there is not hope for the music industry.
All the main radios are funded by various record companies and are therefore bound to promote that labels "next big thing" despite if they are musically gifted or not, I hate it, it's all so disposable and it just keeps getting worst!
At work we have Virgin Radio on and it plays the same things every night, I feel sorry for the odd good song because they destroy by simply repeating it over and over again until you hate it. Virgin is hosting different festivals around the UK this summer and are compelled to promote the bands playing at these festivals - it's all a viscous circle of money money money. When I do buy records I often don't look at who the band or person is that is making the track I simply try to have a clear perspective and have no pre-conceived ideas - if I like the song I like the song despite who sings it. The one great thing about music is discovering it....not having it forced down your throat. Also what has happened to the honest critics??? Do they still exists?? Everyone is hyping everyone else - no one writes bad reviews anymore - not like the Theatre or Film critics who aren't afraid to slate anyone in the fear they may offend or sever connections for free tickets!!! We need bad reviews!!!! But bad reviews hardly ever get printed!!! Why? Because most of the big magazines are funded by ad's from mega record labels and thus the circle repeats itself again!!
Anyway that's my rant for the weekend out of the way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's the online music reviewing scene like?

As long as a site isn't an extension of an existing media/publishing house' magazine or financed by a larger organisation with related product to sell it should at least superficially, appear more independent in it's criticism and focus, but will still likely have some degree of bias.

The relationship many of the print media enjoy with the big record labels no doubt helps with access to material and exclusives, but also limits the critical wrath of editors and journalists, who risk lucrative advertising and band/album access when they suddenly develop a conscience.

I think the guys at Penny Arcade sum it up well:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/01/20

James Cridland said...

You say... All the main radios are funded by various record companies and are therefore bound to promote that labels "next big thing" despite if they are musically gifted or not

In fact, we at Virgin Radio are not funded by the record companies: in fact, we fund them, to the tune of over $2m a year, so that we can play their songs.

And, surprising as it might sound, that's the same for every other radio station in the UK. No radio station (with the possible exception of Ministry of Sound Radio and PWL Radio) are funded by record companies.

Our music choice is actually because of you, the listener: if you join our panel then you, too, can have your say on the music we play.

Hope that helps, and good blog!

James @ Virgin Radio

Laura's travels said...

I just wanted to say that maybe it was wrong of me to single out Virgin Radio - it's just that I work from 6pm-10pm and we have the radio on and every night it's the same songs - and no one can deny that. I know that it's down to ratings and what the people want but at the same time I just feel like it kills some of the good songs.

The other night someone switched over to Radio Forth 2, a local station in Edinburgh and I enjoyed there far more - freer and eclectic and alternative choice, they did not just play the singles of the bands out now but also the b-sides, for example tracks from prior primal scream albums and not just country girl, b-sides of the Sterophonics, Radiohead, rarer tracks of legends like The Who for example and not just playing my generation etc.....they seemed to be taking more risks which is surprising for a small radio station - and with pleasing results!

I just feel that sometimes because of things like the V-Festival and Isle of Wight festival radios like Virgin hype the bands on the bill simply because they are on the bill - and not all of them are saviours of rock like they are made out to be, yes some are good, some great, others just mediocre.

Where are the risks?? Bring back Radio Caroline and viva true music revolution!!! We need a radio that doesn't feel like it have to reply the same song 10 times a day because there is enough great songs out there to fill the air waves for months, freedom of speech and a station that's brave enough to say a new band is rubbish if they really are!

It is wrong of me to say that they are funded by record labels - I was under the impression they where and I apologise for that, it's great that you left a comment stating so and I appreciate this.

Thanks
Laura

The road called again and I answered. This is my journey and believe this one is going to reveal a lot more to me than any other I have been on, for I don't intend for this one to end.....well not anytime soon that is