Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Misson: Get to Wales from Cornwall for as little as possible


So Saturday the 9th Matt, John and I decided to make a mission to get to Bristol (where I would catch the train to Cardiff) by car, the only problem was that Matt's car was dead, and when I say dead I mean it was not going anywhere. But luckily he had RAC - so after we packed the car - making it look like we where really trying to get home, I made coffee and sat in the warm of the house - as it happened to be a fairly chilly morning.

We waited 45min for the RAC people to come - they said the same thing - the car was dead and not going anywhere. So they called a tow company - which we waited for, for over an hour. They came and hoisted the car onto the back of the tow truck and in we went. The tow driver was an ex-seaman, a rather round short man from somewhere in Yorkshire. He took a particular dislike to john who was from Newcastle. He said the most degrading/culturally racist things to John - simply because he was a northy Newcastlen - luckily he was not towing us all the way to Bristol - but just to outside of Truro - otherwise I think John might of thumped him- and too right - this guy was just plain rude. Anyway when we got to the Tow Garage they gave us alittle Fiat Tipo to drive back in. Yeehaa, now at about 3pm we where really on our way - after being up from 8:30am. The only probs was that there really was absolutely no petrol in the car and the stupid tow truck man sent us on a wild goose chase to find a petrol station - but thankfully a local sent us in the right direction and we just made it. After stocking up we set off - ON THE ROAD!!!

We later stopped off for a coffee break in Exeter - which is becoming the 2nd home of all missions out of Cornwall by car. The to Bristol - yeehaa - turn on the radio and have some music going - that was until a bolt of electricity lit up the whole car and the radio blew - and we didn't have it on the loud - luckily my tripod seemed to take in the bolt and none of us got a shock.

We also discovered we had abit of a faulty petrol gauge and speedometer - leading Matt to getting a speeding fine - and the ironic thing is Matt drives like an old man - he is possibly the best most conserved driver of our age I have ever met. So anyway we dropped John off at his mates house in Bristol - got directions to Parkway - I got dropped off, just in time for a train to Cardiff. Yeah 50min later in Cardiff, then a short 20min wait, then off to Treforest 20min away - A LONG DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!But rewarded with some good home cooking. Ohh and did I mention London tomorrow.

No comments:

The road called again and I answered. This is my journey and believe this one is going to reveal a lot more to me than any other I have been on, for I don't intend for this one to end.....well not anytime soon that is